Monday, September 25, 2006

HELP

I needed help in a bad, bad way...and I got it today! It always amazes and humbles me when I am in dire need~over my head~and bless my own stinking heart just feeling crazy cause for some reason with everything going on...Marv out of town for the entire week, boot camp can not be missed, school and schedules, and oh my gosh the 6th grade math homework EVERY night without fail! Today and this week is one of those times and I have just been literally shaking knowing that Jeffrey would come home with the unbelievable homework that I didn't do until high school and college...and just barely got through then! Marv had planned on having me fax it to him, but he had to hob-nob (or something like that) in Austin with the realator types so I was pretty much on my own when out of the blue my precious baby sister who just happens to be the mensa queen and got ALL the brains of the family calls me up and with all the patience and love in her heart helps me help Jeffrey through some crazy- type math. I just lost it with her on the phone, and all three of my babies starring at their basic math- kinda momma trying to understand why it mattered that Bob ran 8 kilometers...and how long did it take him. I DON'T CARE BOB!!! I would like to ask why it mattered that my child has up to 4+ hours of homework every night and how much longer do they expect him to make it at this rate....do that math,K! Sorry I have just had it with watching my amazing 11 year old come home each day grab a quick snack and then muster up the most amazing God given diligence I've ever seen and watch him try to dive into his homework every night. He has no free time to climb trees, ride bikes, or even read a book for fun. I'm so thankful to be in a top notch school district, but it seems like the teachers who have no children of their own yet just don't get what it is like to have this stress and pressure each and every night.

The other precious friend that helped me out today was my friend Nicole, who I handed off the pta presidency to~bless her heart! : ) She offered to have my kiddos come spend the night so that I could get up and go work out and be back in time for the Clark girls to get here in the morning. She also offered to try and do some of her mathmagician type voodoo to help me with the homework tonight. I just feel so blessed, and am TRYING not to feel stressed since God sent these two angels to step up and stand by my side through this craziness of homework and schedules. It's hard to not have family near by, but with friends like these it's all most just like a family. It takes a village....and I'm just thankful that they can help this village idiot be the best mom I can try to be! Can I get a witness in here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came upon your blog during my random sojourn through the "next blog" button and thought you might like to know that I visited. I also have a sixth grader who has excessive math homework beyond my comprehension.

Kim said...

What is he doing? Hannah's has really picked up too and her math teacher gives them homework on FRIDAY!!! Sometimes the words are scary enough! Why not just call "Scientific Notation"- "Let's count the decimal places?" OR "Order of Operations" could instead be called, "Do I multiply/divide or add/subtract first?" Tiff- I may speak your math language, so give me a call. Hannah is in advanced math and has already passed me up. She is holding her own, but hey we are at the beginning of the year! Hang in there sister and let me tell you some of my little cheats: Word searches are stupid and they teach nothing, so Dad gets those :)
Coloring is also stupid, especially for homework (maps, illustrations). Maybe there are kids who have nothing to do (chores, responsibilities, sports, practicing piano, etc.) but not my kids. We always start the school year off with the mentality that there is no break until Friday and not to expect *any* free time. Sad, huh? At least they aren't disappointed with their afternoons :( Also, after 20 or so math problems we whip out the calculator. Sorry teachers, but once the concept is grasped the rest is really overkill!!!! We try to do as much as we can in one night (if your teachers will give you spelling or writing assignments ahead of time)
These are some of the concepts we (Hannah & I are both in the 6th grade) are covering in the next 9 weeks:
Graphical Methods, Central Tendency and Data Analysis. We then can look forward to the rest of year with Integers, comparing and contrasting Quadrilaterals, and my most favorite of all... EXPERIMENTAL AND THEORETICAL PROBABILITY!!!! Ahh!!!!! My brain just exploded!!!!

Love ya Tiff and do I ever feel your pain!!!

AmyG said...

Hmmmm...Diligence (AKA Persistence)...I wonder where he learned that? (Please note the tone of sarcasm in my voice). Michelle and I both wish we had your persistence.

Don't worry sister, we'll get through 6th grade math! You can call me any time you're having one of those crazy days! I'm two hours behind so I've got a good few hours in me by the time you guys are starting homework for the night!

Math and science I can help with...if he comes home with English/Literature, or History (blah!) you're on your own!

Hang in there! I Love you!