Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11








I remember turning on the t.v.-not a normal morning routine-to check the weather. I had a meeting at Jeffrey's elementary school at 10:00 and needed to see what to wear. All of the sudden I saw the Today show switching to live coverage and talking about something weird going on at the twin towers when shortly after that I saw the second plane hit the building. Marv had just come back home from dropping off Jacob at preschool. I ran out in my robe telling him it was like a nightmare and we just sat there watching t.v. wondering what if anything we needed to do. I didn't get out of my robe the whole day until I had to go pick up the boys, and Marv worked from home that day trying to get some things done, but just sick to our stomachs of what this meant for our country. It was so hard to sleep and every time we would hear a plane, or anything I felt myself ducking. I went to the grocery to store to get some bottled water, and canned goods...just in case. Looking back on it now I just had Y2K in my mind and thought I had to do something to get ready for what I don't know, but I felt like I had to do something.

Going to New York this summer was eye-opening to see that it was real, and that people all over the city would share with us where and what they were doing on 9-11. I can't believe it's been 5 years. It seems like a life time ago in some ways, but I'm thankful that we have not had a repeat. Here are some pictures that I have from our day that we visited Ground Zero. The fire station right across the street had the memorial from the men they lost that day. The cross made out of the steel beams landed that way and they haven't moved it since. It is just a huge hole in the ground, and so many of the buildings (around 10 I think) around the towers are having to be torn down due to damage from that day. An interesting thing was that the church across the street wasn't hurt at all. Not even one window was broken. It was a place of rest and refuge for many rescue workers for months.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Great Pics

It is nice to see and average family's photos of the memorials instead of the media ones.

Your kids will tell their kids about that visit.

My remember is up

Tiffany said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I enjoyed looking at yours as well!