Saturday, August 26, 2006

'Gooder' English

Okay now for those of you who know me I like to have fun with the English language and it's just funny to me the way some words come out with different accents. Well there is one thing about emailing and blogging and that is trying to get your tone, voice, and correct attitude across to the person, or in this cases persons who you are writing to. I got to see my mom at the Women of Faith conference this weekend in Dallas, and when we got to the American Airline center I immediately called my mom and did one of those stand up and wave my arms like a crazy person while we were talking on the cell phone trying to eyeball each other. IT WORKED, and was so neat to be able to look out across the stage area and crowd knowing right where my momma was the whole weekend. Well as we were chatting on the phone after finally seeing each other and confirming where to meet at the next break my mom says, "Oh hey Tiff...Dad and I were reading your blog and just noticed that you said 'Got my nails DID three times instead of got my nails done.' Did you mean to do that?

I grew up in a family full of educators, and married into a family full of educators, so for all you educators out there who probably wondered the same thing if you could hear the WAY that it's said then you would get it, but I assured my mom that I would just send out an FYI that I do know the correct way to say it...done....and that I like to say I'm gettin' my hair and nails did for fun! :)

Something else that's funny with communicating is in my birthday card from my mom and dad I read the little notes that they wrote in the card and my dad wrote....You are the lousiest wife and mom in the world! Well I thought maybe he was just trying to be funny and then I read the next two sentences and realized that in fact he was being serious, so then I thought hopefully I was reading it wrong! I just couldn't make out what other word it might be and man it sure did look like lousy. I called them up and asked for an explanation and a verification and found out after much laughter on my mom's part that the word was busiest! Communication is such a luxury to us all now days, but man it can get messed up!

I'll try and make myself clear, but please don't grade me on spelling, etc... cause this is usually done early mornings, or late nights. That's gonna be my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: