Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hives and Homeschoolin'

Well we made it through our first official week of homeschooling. The kids are waking us up at 6:45 when we over sleep ready to go! I never ever in a million years thought that homeschooling could be this fun, much less doable. You see I was always one of the ones that just said I could NEVER EVER to it cause I couldn't do the higher level teaching, have enough patience, or discipline. I was sooooo wrong! The curriculum that I am using (a hodge podge of things) is just amazing! It has been so wonderful to add a family bible study into our schedule, and now we can learn about anything and everything that interest us when it comes to science, history, and art. I was telling Kim what I did for science the first day and she told me I should blog about it, so here goes along with our schedule...

7:00 Family Bible Study (we are doing Matthew right now through BSF)
7:45 Breakfast
8:15 Dress/chores
9:00 Calendar/Weather
9:30 Boys do Math while Julia does Language
10:30 Boys do Language while Julia does Math
11:30 Science/History M,W,F and Art/Music T/Th
12:30 Lunch...if I can get them to stop long enough!
1:30 Finish any school work/chores if needed
FREE TIME

Okay so this is my big plan, but these crazy kids of mine have gone of the deep end and usually don't want to quit! I never would have thought that would happen!

So for Science we are doing a couple of weeks on weather. I bought this neat weather cube station at Lakeshore teacher store that allows the kids to measure wind, rain, temp, barometric pressure, etc... It's been really neat! I also asked them on the first day to write down a question in their science folders that they had about weather. Wow their little brains come up with so many questions it was hard to narrow it down to one, but they did. I had 6-8 books checked out from our city library about weather and then told them to go and research to find the answers. They each ended up writing a couple of pages on all the info they found and then shared with each other. So simple, but man did they really do alot of self teaching and self motivation on this!

Now for the hives part of the week! I have a plantar's wart on my foot and was prescribed a medication that I am obviously allergic to cause I woke up Friday morning itching like crazy and covered in hives! Needless to say after taking Benadryl I was out for the count, but we were able to get our school lessons in by the afternoon! I'm so blessed to have these three precious children who have amazed me and surprised me by their enthusiasm and love for our new homeschooling adventure!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm sorry about your hives...hopefully once you quit that medicine, they should go away...

Do not go to the doctor and have them give you steroids!!!! I repeat, don't do it! ha!

Mine was pretty severe and my doc felt that the steroid shot was the only way to knock it out. It did, but the side effects have been terrible.

It sounds like homeschooling is going well with your family! How wonderful! I love the weather idea! I'm sure they learned so much!!! And had fun while they did it!

Blessings to you! I love the name of your blog....and your children are just adorable!