Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pray for our Gabbie girl











Please pray for my precious niece Gabbie Martinez. She will be going into surgery Monday at Scottish Wright in Dallas. She was born April 16, 2002 and when she came into this world the doctors realized that she had several urgent issues to deal with; one being she he was born with spina bifida and is paralyzed from the waist down. She will be 5 this next April and she is the most amazing little all most 5 year old I've ever known! She is a true red head like her momma and a spit-fire one at that! She will melt your heart the second she says hello. We are so thankful for her and her little life because even with all the difficulties my sister and her family had to go through over the last five years they have shown amazing strength amid the chaos and heartbreak. This surgery will be one of several that she will have over the next year. The surgery on Monday is to release her achilles tendons and tendons in her toes so that her feet will be able to bend at a 90 degrees. This will allow her to wear shoes easier and help with the circulation in her feet.
Gabbie has been asking her momma lately when she is gonna get to start walking like her sister, friends, teacher, and parents. She has thought all this time that she was a baby and that's why she couldn't walk yet. When Michelle had to tell her again that she won't ever be able to walk she just sobbed the saddest cry. It tore Michelle's heart out, but I am so amazed at the way Michelle is able to communicate with her girls and how she always finds the good in their situations. Talk about tenacity! Those girls are super lucky to have her for a momma! Michelle finally told her a couple of days later when she asked again why she still could learn to walk yet and when she could starting learning to walk. Michelle told her that when she was born she was a very sick little baby and that they were just so happy that she was alive. Gabbie said, "I'm alive?!" Michelle answered her..."Yes, Gabbie you are alive and that makes me so happy!" Gabbie started smiling and cheering, "I'm alive, I'm alive just like you mommy, and daddy, and Maggie, and my teacher, and my friends....." What a great thing for me to learn that no matter how bad things seem to be for me in this world any given day...I'M ALIVE and so thankful to my Lord for all the blessings this precious angel has taught me!
Gabbie you just keep on smiling and being a little angel that God shared with us in this lifetime. I can't wait until the day we are all in heaven dancing around the campfire and you WILL be able to walk my precious niece! (Michelle and the girls went camping with us over spring break. It was their first time and it was so neat to see them experience a camping adventure with us!)




1 comment:

Kim said...

Sweet Gabbie! You have been in our hearts from the day you were born. What a beautiful picture we have seen of God's grace as he has given your momma all that she has needed and her testimony is such a witness to His faithfulness. Blessings and prayers as we await the upcoming day of surgery.